COVID-19 vaccine appointments beginning on April 12 at Cardinal Stadium are now available. Schedule your appointment online. Learn More
Two Steps to Staying Alive
- Call 911
- Push hard and fast in the center of the chest to the beat of "Staying Alive" by the Bee Gees
- Cardiac arrest occurs when the heart stops beating
- Every hour, 38 Americans suffer a cardiac arrest. Fewer than 1 in 10 will survive.
- Bystander CPR saves lives. For every minute delay in starting CPR, the chances of survival decrease by 10%!
- Even people without official CPR training can perform hands-only CPR. The steps are simple: 1) call 911, and 2) push hard and fast in the center of the chest.
- Push to the beat of "Staying Alive," 100 times per minute, at least 2 inches deep.
Know the Warning Signs
- Chest discomfort - uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain
- Discomfort in the upper body; one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach
- Shortness of breath
© 2021 UofL Health (formerly KentuckyOne Health) • 200 Abraham Flexner Way, Louisville, KY 40202