Think What You Have to Gain
If you’ve been let down by countless diets and other weight loss programs, UofL Health - UofL Health - Jewish Hospital in downtown Louisville may have the tool for you. Our weight loss surgery program isn’t just about what you lose. It can also mean freedom from diabetes and hypertension. Relief from debilitating joint pain. Improved sleep and energy. And the chance to finally live a life you love.
Call 502.443.1824 or register here for a free weight loss surgery seminar near you. Together, we’ll explore a variety of life-changing options and see if you may be a candidate.
Proven Procedures for Lasting Success
Our board-certified surgeon, Dr. David Geller, perform a full range of bariatric procedures to help you get and stay healthy. They specialize in the most minimally invasive techniques available, which often offer less pain and faster recovery, so you can get started right away on your weight loss goals.
- Gastric Bypass: Also called "Roux-en-Y”, this procedure involves making a small pouch out of the stomach and bypassing the small bowel. Rapid weight loss occurs by limiting the amount of food you consume and the calories your body absorbs. Gastric bypass requires lifelong follow up to monitor essential vitamin and nutrient levels.
- Adjustable Gastric Banding: Also called LAP-BAND®, this technique uses an inflatable, adjustable ring to create a smaller gastric pouch, limiting the amount of food it will hold at any time. That means you’ll feel comfortably full with less and maintain that fullness for several hours, reducing the urge to eat between meals. It’s the least invasive procedure, and also the only adjustable and reversible one.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: Also called gastric sleeve, this procedure decreases stomach size by about 80%. You’re left with a tube the size of a banana, which limits the amount of food you can hold and promotes a longer-lasting feeling of fullness. Due to its lower risk, sleeve gastrectomy is optimal for patients who have had extensive previous surgery, and has even been used to help patients with kidney disease lower their body mass index (BMI) in order to receive transplants.
Choosing the right procedure for you involves discussion with an experienced bariatric surgeon. We’re here to listen, to understand your unique needs and goals and to help you make the best decision for your life.
Total Support for Your Journey
Whichever option is right for you, you’ll find everything you need to live your healthiest life:
- Dedicated team: From your first visit through surgery and ongoing support, you can count on your very own team of weight loss experts. They’ll coordinate your program and insurance, and provide nutritional education, exercise counseling and mental health support to promote positive change, inside and out.
- Lifelong care: Life after surgery can be a challenge, both physically and emotionally, as you adjust to a new way of life. Our after-care program offers continued dietary and lifestyle counseling, as well as access to our Healthy Lifestyle Centers to increase your success and jumpstart your fitness routine. We also host monthly support groups for new and past patients to support your total well-being—mind, body and soul.
- Compassionate setting: You can count on warm, personalized care every step of the way. We’re here to lean on, and cheer you on, as you transform your health and life.